THE NSF INNOVATION-CORPSTM (I-CORPS) IS A SUITE OF ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMS THAT AIM TO:
- Accelerate the transition ideas to the marketplace.
- Encourage collaboration between academia and industry.
- Train students to understand innovation and entrepreneurship.
I-CorpsTM is a public-private partnership program that teaches grantees to identify valuable product opportunities that can emerge from academic research, and offers entrepreneurship training to student participants. There are 3 components of the I-CorpsTM program that work together to grow and sustain the national innovation ecosystem.
I-CorpsTM Nodes support regional needs for innovation education, infrastructure and research.
I-CorpsTM Sites nurture and support teams in academic institutions to transition their technology concepts into the marketplace.
I-CorpsTM Teams participate in the seven-week curriculum to learn what it takes to achieve commercial impact of their innovation.
- Seed funding up to $3000 per team for prototyping, travel and other business expenses
- Education workshops on Lean LaunchPad methodology and customer discovery
- Mentoring via Texas State's I-CorpsTM Site’s entrepreneurial network & Entrepreneurs-In-Residence
- Collaboration and networking opportunities with other scientists and entrepreneurs
- Designation as an NSF-funded project leading to follow-up funding through I-CorpsTM program
I-Corps awards can be used to support various entrepreneurial activities including:
- Materials and supplies used to develop prototypes or equipment
- Travel to meetings, conferences, trade shows and workshops for the purpose of customer discovery or market research
- Educational materials or programs related to technology commercialization and entrepreneurship